I had installed Debian with Gnome and Pulseaudio/bluez. I couldn't get realtek audio from my mobo (AMD X470) which is fine, because I never use that. I'm a bluetooth guy.
Guess what doesn't work? A2DP Sink, so all my audio sounds like garbage in HFS mode. I can't get any of my bluetooth audio devices to default to A2DP Sink, and the only solution is to constantly disconnect and reconnect it for about 2 hours. It wants to say that A2DP is "unavailable" until then, when it picks it up.
Online some people said it's due to some bug with Gnome picking up the sound and locking A2DP before it can be used by bluez.
Using this, it works: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=194006
Bug and possible solution: actually I found a bug in that make the headset unusable, it seems that the pulse audio module: module-bluetooth-discover works only if started after the X11 session is up. So I have a workaround. Edit the file: /etc/pulse/default.pa and comment out (with an # at the beginning of the line) the following line: #load-module module-bluetooth-discover now edit the file: /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 and after the lines: if [ x”$SESSION_MANAGER” != x ] ; then /usr/bin/pactl load-module module-x11-xsmp “display=$DISPLAY session_manager=$SESSION_MANAGER” > /dev/null fi add the following line: /usr/bin/pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover This way the Pulse audio’s Bluetooth modules will not be downloaded at boot time but after x11 is started.
I sometimes have to run this as a script after booting, or if the bluetooth gets wonky:
sudo service bluetooth stop sudo rmmod btusb sudo modprobe btusb sudo service bluetooth start
Other notes: edit /etc/bluetooth/main.conf and under [General] add:
Here is also my /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf
[General] Enable=Media,Source,Sink,Gateway Disable=Headset,Socket AutoConnect=true load-module module-switch-on-connect [Headset] HFP=false HSP=false MaxConnected=0 FastConnectable=false
I read online that for Gnome 3 you should use the main.conf. I think that might be correct, because nothing in audio.conf seems to make any difference.